This school year, right after Trevor turned two, we started preschool. I’d love to say that we are faithful in doing it every day, but that’s just not the truth. Honestly we probably do it two or three times a week, but I love that it is slowly getting both of us ready for the pattern of school that will come in the next few years. This year we are taking our inspiration from www.letteroftheweek.com. We have tweaked the way we do things as the weeks go by and added more elements as Trevor has grown. The curriculum is set up in weeks, but realistically it takes us about two weeks to get through it. So here is what we did this week!
Day 1 - Theme: Cookies
- Color cookie coloring page
- Talk about vocabulary word: dough
- Read “If you Give a Mouse a Cookie”
- Bake cookies!
Day 2 - Letter: “I”
- Color letter “I” coloring page
- Talk about the sounds the letter “I” makes
- Talk about words that start with the letter “I”
- Trace the letter “I” with your finger (we used these Lauri Toys)
- Practice writing the letter “I”
Day 3 - Number: “9”
- Count to the number “9”
- Put nine stickers on the number “9” handout, counting as you put them on
- Put nine pegs in the pegboard, counting as you go (we use this Lauri Toys pegboard)
- Work on copying patterns on the pegboard (for beginning math skills) (more details)
Day 4 - Shape: Circle
Day 5 – Review
- Do another activity regarding the theme if desired (I didn’t do one this week)
- Review concepts from this week while putting the pages into the school binder
- Quickly review past weeks concepts while putting this week’s pages in the binder
Looking for more preschool information? Click on the picture below to find a list of all the preschool posts here at Living and Learning at Home, plus some of my favorite preschool resources!