Saturday, March 19, 2011
Superfood Chocolate Cake
The past few weeks I've been trying to figure out what kind of cake to make for Mackenzie's birthday party. Of course I would ideally like it to be somewhat healthy, but I also want it to be delicious for the party guests. When I searched online for a "whole wheat cake" recipe, I found a recipe that looked decent and even contained some hidden spinach! I gave it a try a few weeks ago when Trevor and I made our moon cake and it was really good! I wanted to see if I could make it just a little healthier without compromising the taste, so I gave it another try yesterday with a few switched ingredients. I know it's not completely healthy (it has some butter and sugar) but it's full of great superfoods and is made with fresh ground whole wheat! Spinach, blueberries, dark chocolate, cacao, and even whole wheat are all considered superfoods for their dense nutritional content and the health benefits that they offer. Do a search for "superfood" and any of those ingredients to learn more for yourself! I didn't mess around trying to improve the butter or sugar, but if you've ever successfully substituted something for these ingredients while baking, I'd love to know! Here is what I came up with...
Dark Chocolate Blueberry Cake
1c frozen chopped spinach
1c blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/3 c dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 c sugar
1c whole wheat flour
2T cacao powder (this is raw cocoa)
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cook spinach and blueberries either in the microwave or on top of the stove until soft. Take the mixture and puree it in a blender or a food processor.
- Melt butter and dark chocolate together (on the stove, or in the microwave for 30 seconds).
- Stir together the wet ingredients (chocolate and butter mixture, spinach and blueberry mixture, egg, vanilla, and sugar).
- Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cacao powder, and salt).
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into cake pan or muffin tins. Bake for approximately 25 minutes (slightly more if you are doing one big cake).
- Cool completely. It smells slightly like spinach if you eat it when it is warm =)