So fast forward four years to a couple of weeks ago and Tim and I are at IKEA hoping to get new slipcovers for our chairs (in addition to a few other things). We are looking at the slipcovers (which range from $10-$40 per cover) and are not super impressed with the style selection. We are trying to get our condo ready for selling in a few months, so I wanted something that would complement the new paint color we are thinking of getting, and have a bit of a pattern to disguise the messes that children inevitably make. We finally settled on one. We didn't really like it, but it was the best they had to offer, I didn't want to come home empty handed, and really I didn't know of any other option besides picking from what they had to offer.
We get home and the next day I try one cover on a chair. I couldn't believe it, but it was way too big! It fit nothing like the covers we currently have on our chairs. So I searched on the internet and, much to my frustration, IKEA had changed the size of our particular chair sometime between when we originally bought them and now. What were we going to do? We chose these chairs because of being able to change out the slipcovers instead of getting new chairs. As I continued looking online, I noticed that some people sell custom made covers for our chair. This was great because the fabric selection was much better, but now your talking $70 and up per cover. No way! Then I stumbled upon this blog where a lady actually made her own beautiful slipcovers for her dining chairs (same kind as we have). I was inspired!
Now I am not a great crafter, but I am a "get it done" kind of person, so I was confident that I could make this work! I first created a mock cover by hand with an old table cloth I had lying around, just to see if this was actually possible. I was so pleased with the result! The lady on the blog I found made her covers a little fancier than I wanted, so instead of following her pattern, I decided to just rip apart one of my covers to use as my pattern...check it out!
I went to the store with my mom and picked out this fabric.
I ripped apart all the pieces of the old slipcover and marked which pieces would need to be sewn back together.
I pinned my pieces onto my new fabric and cut around them, leaving a little extra room knowing that my seams wouldn't be as narrow as the original ones.
I didn't take any picture of the actual sewing part. I do not have my own sewing machine, so my mother-in-law was so gracious to let me use her machine. She even got our her second machine and helped me so we would get done quicker!
The finished product. I love it! It's by no means perfect, as I am not a seasoned seamstress, but it's plenty good enough for me! Now I just have seven more to make =)
Close-up of the seat.