- Click here to download my ornaments to print out yourself.
- If you have an advent wreath, light one candle while your do your Bible reading (we read it in the morning without the candle and then light the candle when we read it again at night with daddy.)
Bible Reading - Isaiah 9:1-7 & Matthew 4:13-16
But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined. You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this. Isaiah 9:1-7
And leaving Nazareth he went and lived in Capernaum by the sea, in the territory of Zebulun and Naphtali, so that what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: "The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles—the people dwelling in darkness have seen a great light, and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death, on them a light has dawned." Matthew 4:13-16
- Do you think that these people lived with no lights on everywhere (physical darkness)?
- No, darkness here is talking about not knowing the truth and not living in a way that is pleasing to God.
- When the people see a great light, do you think that a big light bulb is going to come and shine for them?
- No, the great light they are talking about here is Jesus! He would come and show the people right from wrong. We can not know anything apart from the "light" of Christ (they will get this better after the activity).
- Was Isaiah written before or after the birth of Jesus? How about Matthew?
- Explain how the Old Testament was written before Jesus, so when it talks about something that will happen regarding Christ it is a prophecy (something that hasn't happened yet, but will!) Explain how the New Testament was written about Jesus life and the events after he died (and rose again!)
Memory Verse - Matthew 1:22-23
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 'Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel.
Vocab Words -
- Prophet: a person who speaks for God (in this case, prophesying the coming of Christ.)
- Immanuel (Emmanuel): God with us, referring to Jesus.
- Bear: to bring forth or give birth
- I wasn't going to stress this part, but Trevor asked, so we talked about it =)
- We recounted how a baby grows in the mommy's belly and then comes out. The 'coming out' is the bearing!
Song - Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel
O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
Explaining the song to a 3 year old:
Come Jesus and save Israel! They are sad and lonely, waiting for Jesus. Be happy, Israel! Jesus will come to you!
Activity - Cave of Darkness
- Make a cave (tent) with your child by putting a large blanket over some chairs.
- Send your child into the cave to tell you if an light is coming in. Try to block any beams of light.
- Once the cave is dark, place a few items inside and ask your child if they know what you put in their (you might have to have them close their eyes while you are sliding the item in, since you will be letting light in while you are doing so.)
- Next, give your child a flashlight and see if they can identify the items. Of course they will be able to now that they have light!
- Talk to your child(ren) about how that it what it is like without Jesus. Without Jesus it is like we are living in darkness, unable to really see and understand things, but when we know Jesus he enables us to see and understand what is good and bad and how we should live.
For printable advent ornaments and the list of verses for the whole month, click here. For all of this weeks activities, click here.