- Click here to download my ornaments to print out yourself.
- If you have an advent wreath, light one candle while your do your Bible reading (we read it in the morning without the candle and then light the candle when we read it again at night with daddy.)
Bible Reading - Isaiah 11:1-2 & Jeremiah 23:5-6
There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit. And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. Isaiah 11:1-2
Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reigh as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.' Jeremiah 23:5-6
Activity with Discussion - The Stump of Jesse
- Draw a picture of a tree on a piece of paper.
- Explain how the tree represents Jesse (totally above my 3yo, but if your children are older you could talk more about lineage and how a tree often represents family).
- Talk about how a big tree like this is alive and growing and fruitful.
- Have your child rip off the top part of the tree, leaving just the stump.
- Ask your child if he thinks that a stump like this would grow branches and leaves and fruit (my little guy said 'yes!' woops =)
- If your child is older you can talk more about lineage and what it would mean for a family line to be cut off.
- On a second piece of paper, draw just a stump, but unlike your previous ripped off stump, have a long branch coming up from it.
- Talk about how no one would expect a big strong branch like this to grow from a stump, and it would definitely not yield fruit!
- Point back to the Bible reading that said this fruit (Jesus) would reign as king and have the Spirit of the Lord upon him.
- Have your child put fruit on the branch that is coming up out of the stump.
- I printed out apples for my kids to glue on, but you could have your child draw fruit on or whatever creative idea you can come up with!
|Talking about a good healthy tree.|
|Ripped off stump.|
|Gluing on our apples.|
|View of our two pages in case you want to do something similar.|
Memory Verse - Matthew 1:22-23
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: 'Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel.
Vocab Words -
- Prophet: a person who speaks for God (in this case, prophesying the coming of Christ.)
- Immanuel (Emmanuel): God with us, referring to Jesus.
- Bear: to bring forth or give birth
- I wasn't going to stress this part, but Trevor asked, so we talked about it =)
- We recounted how a baby grows in the mommy's belly and then comes out. The 'coming out' is the bearing!
Song - Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel
O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
Explaining the song to a 3 year old:
Come Jesus and save Israel! They are sad and lonely, waiting for Jesus. Be happy, Israel! Jesus will come to you!
For printable advent ornaments and the list of verses for the whole month, click here. For all of this weeks activities, click here.
Merry Christmas! Pin It
I'm linked up at: