Today my baby girl turned 2 years old! It really is a little bit of a shock because I definitely still consider her my baby. I am excited because when Trevor turned two I started 'officially' doing school with him, so it's a little reminder that Mackenzie really is getting to be a big girl!
I took some time today to start my evaluation/goal book for her like I have done for Trevor. I thought about her strengths and weaknesses and some long and short term goals that I have for her. I also looked back at some of the academic goals I had written for Trevor for his 2 year old year. It is neat to see how much information she has soaked up from from being with Trevor and I when we do school. I honestly have never sat down and tried to teach her any numbers or colors (using legos, or by reading books, etc.) like I did with Trevor when he was a toddler, but none the less she knows quite a bit!
I will share with you some of what I wrote down. Please bear in mind that none of this is perfect, complete, or set in stone, it is simply what came to my mind today as I wrote.
That Mackenzie would come to love and obey Christ and learn to live (and love!) a life of service to her family, church, and community.
Long Range Goals:
- Salvation (obviously this is not my doing, but we will teach her with this goal in mind!)
- Become one who loves to care for others
- Learn to keep a household
- count to ten (she can count to six now, so I'm sure this won't be a problem)
- count items up to ten
- sing the ABC song (she mumbles through it now, but it is not clear)
- recognize the 26 letters
- identify main colors (she knows many)
- identify shapes (she only knows circle =)
- Strong sense of compassion - (ex. she loves to be motherly to her baby dolls and is sensitive to their 'needs')
- Good attention span - (ex. she will sit and color for longer than Trevor will even now, she will sit on my lap while I read a chapter book, she sits through church fairly well)
- Determined, not easily discouraged - (ex. will sit and dump water between two cups or build a tower for an hour, she always wants to figure out how to do things herself)
- Does not need to be entertained - (ex. I will find her sitting in a room by herself playing...something Trevor still does not do)
- Diligent worker - (ex. she picks up toys thoroughly, loves to help me when I clean)
- I don't want to air her dirty laundry, so I'm not doing to put what I wrote down here. Suffice it to say that it is nothing uncommon to a two year old =)
- She has a very keen sense of smell
- She loves to sing and dance
- She puts together detailed sentances
- She likes pretty things and to be pretty and to complement pretty things
- She loves all things gymnastics...swinging, balancing, hand stands, back walk-overs off of the couch, etc. She seems quite strong for a little 'baby'
- She LOVES to rest/cuddle. She still sucks her two fingers and is obsessed with her "ni-night" (blanket). She is so adorable I hate to break it just yet!
So that's Mackenzie! I love the girl like crazy and am SO thankful for her!
Happy Birthday Mackenzie!